For some reason, someone decided that it was "OK" to allow every Control Panel item have an entirely different User Interface.
- Some are standard Dialogs.
- Some are "explorer" windows with a left-side "task menu"...and all of those task menus are only loosely related to what you clicked on.
- Some have links to other Control Panel items, that just lead you in a circle.
- NONE of them have an intuitive way to "return to control panel". (No, the back button is not intuitive!...especially not when only some of the CP items have a back button in the first place)
There have been MANY standardized UI's used to drill down through a large number of settings. Why not use one of them?
It would really go a long to way helping people "understand" their computer.
Change Control Panel configurations to use a common UI.
- Simple tree-view like MMC
- Office 2007 style ie "Word Options" (just add icons)
- Even an Outlook style interface could work